One of my goals this year was to join a weekly photography project so I could re-train my brain (and my heart) to shoot for myself again. And I jumped in feet first with a group on Clickin Moms. It was a nice way to get into the groove again and meet new people. But… it hasn’t been my favorite project.
While I’ve stayed on track and have kept up with the group, and have even pushed myself out of my comfort zone, it hasn’t been exactly what I was looking for. Several of the weekly themes were great… but then I’d be disappointed with a few in a row. And I really don’t like the Clickin Moms forum; I’m not a forum person, I struggle with posting in it, reading it… but Instagram has made it easier to share. But I did walk away with something from this experience: it was a great reminder that I really do love having a weekly photo project. Enough to host one myself.
This isn’t new to me. I actually hosted a weekly photo challenge in 2009-10 and again in 2011 – and in 2011 there was about 200 people following our group. I’m ready to take on the year, to take on the challenge and be part of a group of like-minded photographers who want to explore, push and encourage one another. Get ready for 2017 Project 52!
Here’s how it’s going to go folks:
- Project 52 is a weekly challenge where a new prompt is announced each week. These will be randomly selected each week to keep us on our toes!
- We have a Flickr Group to post our images; I thought this would be the best way to house all of our images in one place and encourage each other through comments. You can find it here.
- You can also share your images anywhere else you’d like to. On your personal blog, on your Instagram account, Facebook… I think the hashtag #2017project52 will be a great way to search and share our “likes.”
- I like Hump Days. There’s less pressure with our “deadline” falling in the middle of the week. I’ll share my own submission on Wednesdays and announce next week’s prompt.
- The first prompt will be announced on December 28 – Week One’s images is due Wednesday, January 4, 2017. And prompts will be announced on all channels (our Flickr Group, this blog and on Instagram).
- There’s nothing fancy about this challenge, so remember ANY CAMERA WORKS – your phone, a point-and-shoot or a dSLR.
- Have fun – push yourself to take a new photo every week. Try not use photos from your archive; it defeats the purpose of challenging yourself as a photographer.
- This shouldn’t have to be said, but please make all images SFW – we have a “safe” rating in our Flickr Group and I will remove any images that don’t fit within that rating.
- I encourage comments from all participants as we’re a community of photographers with a common goal. That said, please keep comments positive and encouraging; only offer critiques when explicitly asked for one.
So that’s the skinny. You can join Flickr for free and it’s a nice platform sharing images; you may meet some new people in the process. ;) The only other thing to do is invite friends or acquaintances you think would like to be a part of it. It’s a personal challenge so there’s no sweat if a week is missed and there’s no prize for finishing it through. I plan on reaching out to some friends and bloggy buddies who participated back in 2011 and I really look forward to connecting with new folks too.
Get your camera ready, sign up for Flickr and join the group, and check back later in the month to get started! Don’t forget: I’m posting our first prompt on Wednesday, December 28!