That title is all kind of whack – but it will make more sense in a minute. Promise.
I originally didn’t have a post set up for today. But after spending an evening of burgers and truffle fries with three of my long-time girlfriends, a new five fave popped into my head. It may be a little mushy, a little more revealing… well, maybe not – if you know me at all, you know I’m a toucher, a hugger and all around sap. And that my favorite movie is Steel Magnolias. (Which I may have quoted below. Maybe.) But anyway… here are my five favorite things I experience with my close girlfriends.
1. Long, hard hugs. And kisses. I just love them. You’re squeezed tight, you hold on a little longer than normal, and something inside just melts a little. And occasionally I remember a time when our arms would stretch a little further around each other… but soft is in, right?
And I know, kisses may be weird to some you… and I’m not European… but I do kiss my close friends goodbye. Just like I would my parents or my brother. A swift peck, an extra sign of affection, something that lingers a few seconds longer once I step away. The. Best.
2. Laughing so hard you can’t breathe and/or cry. Being able to full-on, without a worry, laugh so hard you think you wet your pants or, if you like me, draw out a snort… I smile just thinking about how much I love a good laugh/cry.
Laughter through tears is my favorite emotion.
3. Silent cries. Last night, one of my favorite people had a spectacular day, was on cloud nine… something she just hadn’t experienced in a while. And in her emotional high, she shared how her co-workers were happy for her and I could see the tears growing in her eyes. And my own tears welled up silently. Sympathy crier, that’s me.
Oh sweetheart don’t. Please don’t cry or I will too. I have a strict policy that nobody cries alone in my presence.
4. Being truly happy for each other. There’s something about having a friend for 15+ years that’s wonderful. You know so much about each other you could write a seriously funny biography for each other. But then the surprises and celebrations along the way make it all even better. Right now there’s so much good going on with my girlfriends and I’m so so so happy for them all. Whether it’s a great career, an engagement or a first kiss – my heart beats a little faster knowing how good they feel about it all.
How precious is this weddin’ gonna get, I ask you?
5. Wordless apologies. You don’t have to always speak to say you’re sorry. Sometimes all it takes is a look. Or an escaped tear. Or pulling someone in just to be a little closer to them. There’s a deeper understanding that exists and words don’t always help.
That which does not kill us, makes us stronger.
Bonus: The inside jokes. Who doesn’t love inside jokes. Or stories that are told and retold a million times. Or how your friends compare you to your father on a regular basis. (I think they just do it to rile me up… and confirm their statements all over again. Boo.)
I am pleasant! Dammit! I just saw Drum Eatenton this mornin at the Piggly Wiggly and I smiled at the son of a bitch for I couldn’t help myself!